Meditation is a simple practice that can reduce stress, improve sleep, and help you to enjoy your life (more)! There are many different types of meditation but basically, they have an underlying common thread: focus on breath, relaxation and practicing returning your thoughts to the present moment.
The best to approach meditation is to start small and slowly build. You can meditate while sitting quietly, lying in bed before sleep or even while you are working in your garden, while taking a shower (or bath), doing laundry or the dishes. You can meditate for 3 minutes or an hour. There is no predetermined time in which you have to meditate and there is no predetermined way you have to meditate.
Most people give up on meditation because they cannot quiet their mind. Meditation is not supposed to quiet your mind. Your mind works 24/7, that’s just how it is. Your thoughts may run off on a tangent. Meditation is the practice of noticing that your thoughts are rambling, and then bringing them back to the present moment. Meditation is a practice. Simply recognize that you are lost in a thought and bring yourself back to the present. “Oh, I’m meditating! I’ll think about that later. Right now, I’m going to steer my thoughts back to the present.” With persistence and perseverance, meditation will become easier, yet it will always be a practice.
Here are my 10 tips to meditate:
1. Be comfortable.
2. Focus on your breath. Inhale the good stuff, exhale the bad.
3. Relax and close your eyes (or not).
4. Inhale the good stuff, exhale the bad.
5. Be aware of your thoughts.
6. As soon as your thoughts get sidetracked from your breathing, bring them back to the present.
7. Inhale the good stuff, exhale the bad.
8. Sidetracked again!
9. Return your thoughts to the present; inhale the good stuff, exhale the bad.
10. Expect to repeat 8 and 9 often.
You may be saying to yourself, ‘it can’t be that simple’! Yes, it can and I am living proof of it.
If you are saying to yourself, ‘I don’t have time’. Then you need to make the time.